Tuesday, July 3, 2007

6-30, Saturday, Arrive at Yellowstone



Today we've seen: A mountain lion type thing, buffalo, either coyote or a wolf, an elk type thing, and some neat looking birds. Also lots of species of cars, RVs, trucks and people.

This brings the count up to:
Bunny (We think we ran over it without touching it, not sure if it was dead or alive already(
Deer
Prairie Dog !
Large Cat or Coyote type creature that I nearly hit as it darted across the road
Buffalo
Mountain lion or similar large cat creature
Buffalo (lots)
Coyote or Wolf, definitely a canine of some sort
Elk, maybe - not a deer, smaller than a moose

Today's drive was a good bit more relaxed, thankfully, bit still quite exhausting. Thankfully not all of today was spent on the road. I don't know how much more of that I could of taken. We continued on I-90 for awhile, to Billings, Montana, where we ate at the most spectacular Dairy Queen. It had an actual indoors, sit down restaurant, and the burger I ordered was excellent. I had thought DQs were required by law to be a shack on the side of the road and serve that tasted like it came from a shack on the side of a road.







After lunch at Billings, we left I-90 and headed for Red Lodge and followed US-212, or the Beartooth Highway. This highway was amazing. It took runs from Montana towards Wyoming and eventually enters Yellowstone. It takes you towards the mountains, then thru and over them. I don't think I've ever been on such a sustained mountainous drive. There were more switchbacks than I cared to count and each one got you high up the mountain with better views.

So now I'm at a lodge in Yellowstone and its actually quite a nice lodge. We've seen a lot already in Yellowstone and only been in the park for a few hours. We've seen some quite nice landscape and got a couple minutes at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. (Probably not as grand as the Grand Grand Canyon, but still grand.) So far almost everything thing we've done has been car touring, as in drive the car around, get out and take pictures, get back in, and move on, but we did get a quick hike in. Tomorrow will be much more hiking. We'll probably get to see the geysers and hot springs soon.

One cool thing that I've already noticed about Yellowstone is uncontrolled it is. Coming back from the hike tonight, there was a handful of cars parked on the side of the road that had spotted a Buffalo and an elk. We pulled to the side. The buffalo decided to cross the road. We were in the way. We moved. I think we would have moved whether or not Matt's foot was on the gas pedal. That buffalo was so close I could have jumped on it. A bad idea that is. And it was so close it could have squashed the car. So I'm still waiting on the bear slightly close encounter.

I leave you with a question: Do they server continental breakfast in Hawaii?

No comments: